Topics To Discuss During Your First Prenatal Visit
You have just found out you are pregnant, and you are overwhelmed with excitement. There are so many things to do and plan for, but first things first. That means schedule your first prenatal visit with OBGYN Associates of Akron! To help you prepare for that all important visit, here are some pertinent topics to discuss during your first prenatal visit.
Come With Your Medical History
Share your medical history regarding illnesses, chronic issues, and allergies.
In addition, be able to address the following:
- History of gynecological issues like PMS or PMDD
- History of any mental health problems like depression or anxiety disorder
- Family history of chronic diseases
- Previous pregnancies and any complications
- Exposure to diseases like from recent travel abroad
- Your current medications, the dosages, and any supplements taken on a regular basis so you can find out if they are safe during pregnancy
- Current immunization
Discuss Your Weight And BMI
Find out how much weight you can gain to remain healthy based on your current BMI.
Normally if you are at a healthy weight, it is recommended you gain 25 – 30 pounds. If you’re underweight, weight gain should be close to 30 pounds, and if you are overweight or obese, you should be careful to only gain 11 – 20 pounds.
Talk About Your Exercise Regimen
If you keep healthy by eating right and exercising, OBGYN Associates of Akron will probably tell you to continue. If you don’t currently have an exercise plan, you will be encouraged to begin one. There are many benefits to exercising during pregnancy.
Special Health Conditions
There are some medical conditions that can put extra stress on your body during pregnancy. Diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, seizures, and thyroid anomalies can all affect you and your pregnancy.
Inform OBGYN Associates of Akron if you have had any problems with anesthesia or antibiotics.
The Burning Question
What you really want to know is WHEN you can expect your little one.
During this visit there will be a thorough examination, blood tests, PAP smear, and measurements to determine your due date.
Other Questions You Can Ask
- If I have questions, who do I call?
- If I have cramps or bleeding, do I call you or your nurse?
- Will I need to change sexual habits?
- What do you consider an emergency?
- Should I get genetic screening?
The first prenatal visit is the first step on your journey to a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Request an Obstetric Appointment Today!
Contact OBGYN Associates of Akron if you would like to schedule your first prenatal visit. Call our OBGYN office at (330) 668-6545 to request an appointment with a highly trained obstetrician today!